Tuesday, April 1, 2008

10.21 miles in 1:37:48

After my cut back week I decided to reevaluate my training to make sure it was fitting my goals. My goals are to run respectable times in both the 5k and 10k races. I want to eventually break 22 minutes in the 5k and 50 minutes in the 10k. Maybe, Maybe one day I'd like to complete a half marathon. So with those goals I have little need to extend my long run day to more than 10-11 miles. However it would be helpful to my goals to increase my pace on all runs I do.

So yesterday I figured I should cut my distance back to 7 miles and I could increase my pace to 9:45 m/mile. This would give me enough time to increase my mileage by the end of May- my first 10k.

Yesterday was a great running day. Temps in the mid-50's and overcast, little to no wind.

At one point in the first mile my garmin must have had some problems with the satellites because it kept telling me I was running a 10 m/mile pace and I knew I was going slightly faster. But I didn't realize it was messing up so I picked up the pace. I didn't look at my garmin for about half mile and when I did I saw I was running a 8:30 m/mile pace which I know I can't hold for 7 miles. But the good thing about pushing too hard sometimes is that when I backed off to 9:30 m/mile I felt good. So after 5 miles I started on my second loop (5 miles) and I was feeling great and really moving well. I planned to cut the loop short so I could end between 7-8 miles. At 6.5 miles I figured I had already run this far I might as well do all 10 at this pace.

So I did. My hams have been tight ever since but I keep stretching and they keep feeling better.

My new ipod inspiration is The Dave Ramsey Show podcast.

March mileage: 82.3
YTD mileage: 205.6
Time: 34:24:45

1 comment:

Brian Bojo said...

Nick! Congrats on becoming such an accomplished runner! I am proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Brian