Monday, May 5, 2008

Long Run 11.42 miles in 1:53:30

First long run in May turned out to be an excellent one. I think I have now found my favorite weather to run it. Low 60's with slight breeze. The day was absolutely incredible. The grass is so green, the flowers are brilliant and it was a great day for a run. I left the house with a goal of 10-12 miles. I figured I must finish 10 and if I was feeling really good I would do 12. Somewhere at mile 7 I settled on going for 11.

Today while running I was laughing about a mental picture I had in my head. I was thinking that it was funny that I run because no one wakes me up to do it. Heather likes it that I run and she knows that I enjoy it but she doesn't make me run. I wouldn't enjoy it if she did. I say that because I was thinking about other things in life that we do that might be challenging but they aren't something someone can make us do, honestly I was thinking about following Jesus and how it's hard work and challenging but no one can make us do it. There's a lot to be gleaned from that as a pastor. I can preach and disciple all I want but in the end I can't make anyone surrender more and more to Christ- that has to come from the Holy Spirit and ,for fear of being labeled a heretic, from within them.

But back to my mental image. I imagined Heather over me laying in bed with a bull horn yelling at me "Nick, get up and go run." She would never do that but I just started laughing. There I am running down the street, sweating and laughing at Heather with a bull horn.

11.42 miles in 1:53:30 for a 9:57 m/mile pace.

No comments: