Thursday, September 18, 2008

Go long.

It was about 65 degrees today and while the humidity was pretty high, as it will always be here by the ocean it was still a real nice morning for a run. I decided to pack some food today for my run. I have a water belt that holds a 20 oz bottle on the small of my back and also has a little pouch for my phone and... some fig newtons. They make gels that are essentially carbs in a little pouch but I don't want to fork over $1.50 per pouch nor do I want to have to make my own gel. So fig newtons it is. I packed two and ate them at about mile 7 when I stopped for a bathroom break and a longer drink of gatorade.

I wanted to see how my stomach handled it and I'm happy to say I didn't have any problems with digestion. I did feel like I didn't quite die out like I do at the end of my runs. Before when I run 9-11 miles the last two miles are really just a haze of me keeping upright and getting one foot in front of the other. The cookies seemed to help with this. I felt pretty good when I finished. I also beat my old 11 mile time by four and a half minutes so the fig newtons must be magical.

11 miles in 1:34:30, 8:36 m/mile.

I think my garmin was messing up because my splits were all over the place this morning.

1-8:24
2-8:34
3-9:02
4-8:50
5-9:44
6-8:04
7-8:33
8-7:57
9-8:09
10-8:54
11-8:14

Mile 5 is where it really doesn't make sense. I'm normally good at keeping my pace steady or at least know when I'm dropping off. I felt fresh for mile 5 and I was picking up the pace pretty good by that point. I think the trees were blocking the signal or something. Oh well. I still improved my time and had a great 5 miles (6-9 and 11) where I was able to push the pace into my goal half marathon pace.



Wednesday: 4 miles on the treadmill at the gym.
9:13
8:57
8:27
9:13

No comments: