Monday, March 3, 2008

First Post


While I was out running today I decided that I wanted to go ahead and take the step of starting a "running blog". I'm a pretty consistent blogger over on my other blog so hopefully that will carry over to this blog. The running blog might be a diary of my runs; observations I make while hitting the pavement or running like a hamster on the treadmill.

First of all the name. I read a little "successories" book yesterday called 212 Degrees- the extra degree. You thought it was my weight didn't you. Nope I'm not 212 yet. Maybe if I keep running I will be? At 211 degrees water is hot. At 212 it boils. Boiled water makes steam and steam can power a locomotive. Few people live life at 212 degrees; the one's that do are great or do great things.

While running today I decided I live my life at about 180-200 degrees. Sometimes when I'm really jamming and getting it done I might get up to about 205. Nice and hot but not transformational. But when I get behind something, when I get passionate about something I get it up to 212. That's what drives me nuts sometimes. I've been there, I've tasted it. I know how effective I can be when I go the extra mile (I guess that's punny).

That's what running is for me. No one wakes me up to go running. I just do it. Even when it's craptastic cold outside I get out of bed and do it. I know the first mile is going to suck. It's funny how the first mile every part of your legs hurt. It's actually not funny at all, it's awful. But it's your body's way of telling you to be mediocre. But once you get running, the pain goes away. You get in the groove, you lose track of time. It's the best feeling in the world because you are causing your body to submit to your will. It's a 212 degree action. I don't have to do it but I know it makes me better and after I do it I feel great.

That's 212 and that's what this blog is about.

No comments: