Friday, March 21, 2008

Tempo 7 miles in 64m20s

Yesterday was tempo run. I normally do this run on Friday but sort of felt the need to prove to myself I could do it on thursday. I rarely run on back to back days and I had run an easy two on Wednesday. But all day the tempo run kept coming to my mind and I wondered if I could pull it off.

After a warm up mile I started tempo run 5 miles. The first 2.5 miles of the tempo was at 9:30 m/mile and then the second half was faster (about 8:30-8:45 m/mile) with my fastest mile being my last then a cool down mile.

One thing that continues to amaze me about running is that its almost guaranteed that some part of your body is going to hurt. It's not a piercing pain but just a small nagging pain that you notice and notice and notice. Yesterday it was my abs. I had worked them pretty hard on wednesday and from my first stride I noticed they were sore. Then as the run went on they nagged and nagged and nagged. It might be sore muscles, a slightly nagging discomfort in a leg, a tight calf. It's always something.

I'm 95% sure it's mental. In fact when I can get into the run, get into a podcast, get into my music or just escape in my own thoughts it all goes away. Perhaps it's just a treadmill thing because it doesn't happen as often when I'm out on the road...

1 comment:

Neely said...

WOW BROTHER!! I had no idea you were running and such! That's awesome. I saw a picture of you and thought, is that Nick? You've lost a ton my man! Congrats!

You can follow my blog if you like, it's about cycling:

www.georgiaspinner.blogspot.com

Also, hit me up with your email address, I'd like to keep in touch with you. Mine is jonathanneely@gmail.com