Thursday, August 7, 2008

Half Marathon

Well it's time to update you all on the new training plan. It's half marathon training plan. I've yet to find a plan I'm excited about so right now I'm doing my own thing. Of course like any running plan there will be the usual suspects; long runs, recovery days, speed work, and rest days.

I want to run the Richmond Half Marathon in 1:45. Let the training begin.

Monday- 9.3 miles in 1:26:32, at a 9:19 m/mile pace. I forgot how much I love the long run. There's something incredible about being out on the road running that long, I can't explain it but I love it. I'm not sure if it's healthy but there's this euphoric feeling I get when I run for more than an hour.

Tuesday- 4.5 miles in 41:20, 9:12 m/mile pace. I ran with someone for the first time. There's a running group at the Y and while the group didn't come out on Tuesday at 6 AM me and the leader were there so we ran.

Thursday- 6.1 miles in 51:30, 8:24 m/mile pace. Again I ran at the Y. Jon, the guy I ran with, is a much faster runner than me. I told him my goal for the day. 6 miles total, some speed work at about 8 m/miles and the Churchland Bridge- a .67 mile bridge a mile from the Y. Well he ran my arse into the ground and it was great. He challenged me we kept a recovery pace between 8:30-9:00 and did anywhere from .25 mile to .5 mile fartleks. Hard runs from one point to another. We then took on the Bridge so I can get used to hills for Richmond. On the way back we did a few more fartleks and finished strong. It was a great run that I know I'll benefit from running with someone faster than me.

So that's the running so far for this week. I know I'll do a recovery run tomorrow and then maybe Saturday.

No comments: