Monday, August 18, 2008

The Long Run

The Long Run is now my favorite run. It's tough getting myself out the door for this run sometimes, I don't know why and I can't explain it. But when I do get out the door for it, which so far is every time, I love it. Today I was set to do 10 miles, I decided to keep my long run training going with doing most of the miles at my LR pace but doing a few in the middle at half-marathon pace, or close to it.

I did the first 5 miles right at 9:19 a mile (maybe slightly better). I then did the next 3 miles at HM pace and then wrapped up the run with 2 back around 9:19 m/mile.

Overall I did 10 miles in 1:29:10 for a 8:55 m/mile pace.

Splits:
1-9:25
2-9:10
3-9:09
4-9:12
5-9:17
6-8:20
7-8:09
8-8:15
9-9:17
10-8:53

The weather has been great for these runs the last few weeks since I started doing long runs again. I'm sure this is due in part because I did the hot miles in July. Those miles were tough but they in turn made me tougher. They also made me a stronger runner and a faster runner. That's one thing I've noticed about my running. I'm strong. I get stronger the longer I run. My better miles start at mile 3 and get even better at mile 5. I look forward to increasing my distances to see how my body handles it. I love the fact that I'm getting faster as well...who wouldn't?

No comments: