Saturday, July 5, 2008

5.25 miles in 46:52

It was 75 degrees this morning and overcast, excellent running condition. Too bad it was 85% humidity, not so excellent running condition. However I ran well. I don't have my splits but when my first warm up mile was 9:24 I knew I would be able to run easy today and still be fast. I hope that makes sense, I'm trying to make my easy run pace faster without making it a tempo run.

8:56 m/mile. This is my first easy run under 9:00 m/mile.

This afternoon I started thinking about my goals again for races. I feel this sense of urgency to race well. I'm only 28 and for some reason I feel hurried to get my race times down. But I continue to progress in my running at a good pace and I'm not doing anything stupid.

I've reduced it down to two major goals. I want to hit my 5k goal time of 22:-- which means I have to run faster than 7:24 m/mile. I'll quote Kara Goucher after her winning the 5k at the olympic trials-
I was really nervous before this race, more than for the 10 (10k trial) because I knew it was going to hurt a lot.
So yeah, hitting that goal is going to hurt.

Then on to the half marathon. I think I want to try to hit 1:30:00 that means 13.1 miles at 8:00 m/mile.


Yesterday I did 6.25 miles at an average of 9:08 m/mile pace. 57:04, it was cool and low humidity. I love running in cool weather.

No comments: