Saturday, June 14, 2008

5.3 miles in 49:47

So yesterday I pushed myself and while I wasn't running an all out tempo run my desire was to run hard. So today after spending the day at the beach, and with it being 97 degrees my goal was to just get in 5 miles without dying. So I hit the road with a 16.9 oz bottle of water and I finished a whole 5 seconds slower than yesterdays run.

The water bottle got stashed beside a bush at the start of my run. I pass this spot at mile 2 and at mile 4 so it turned out to be a great spot to water myself. From the first step I felt good so I kept my warm up pace a little faster than normal. For the entire run I was able to keep my pace better than 9:30 (9:24 m/mile pace over the entire run). Drinking while running was a new thing for me. I took a sip, dumped some on my head and then took another sip. That was really all I needed. The dump on the head was incredible and very refreshing. The little I drank was more to keep my mouth moist than for anything.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a water belt so I can have water with me on runs. Until today I figured water was a luxury I could do with out not a necessity to run. But with the temp as high as it was it was really a necessity. Maybe I'll get one for father's day (tomorrow) or our anniversary (monday)?

I did one other thing new today. I wore sunscreen. I tan really easily and the way I've been in the sun, about 1 hour at a time I've gotten a great base coat and I'm tanning really well. I keep reading about how skin cancer in runners is a real problem and while I'm not running 100 miles a week like many of the elites are I don't want to take any chances. Especially since I read mexicans get skin cancer at a higher rate than other nationalities and I'm half mexican. So all day at the beach and during my run I wore sunscreen. I even had to reapply.

No comments: