Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Intervals 5x800m at 7:30 m/mile

Today was interval day. Since I'm wanting to break 23 minutes in my next 5k I need to be prepared to run 7:30 m/miles so those were my interval goals for the day. The first interval is always the toughest because my legs are just tight and my body not quite used to moving at that speed. My garmin had a hard time keeping up and I knew I was moving faster than my watch was indicating so I just kept pushing myself trusting that I was coming close to 7:30 pace. When I got home I discovered that I was pretty much right on my goal pace.

5.3 miles today 5x800m intervals w/ 400m rests. 45:49 total run time.

I saw a deer today. You have to understand that I live in surburbia. We have some wooded areas near where I live but our area has been developed for quite a few years now. So I'm running on our main road heading into my last interval and up ahead I see a great dane crossing the street. I then realize it's a deer and not a great dane and it's crossing the street to get a drink from the drainage pond. The deer is a few hundred feet ahead of me and standing on the sidewalk trying to figure out what I'm doing. It realizes I'm harmless (sucker) and crosses the rest of the way and then to the pond. As I get closer it realizes I'm not as harmless as it once thought and the deer darts in front of me, in front of a car on the road and then toward a fence. I figured the deer knew that was a 12 foot fence and it wasn't going to be able to clear it but evidently deer "got no sense". That stupid deer tried to jump the fence. It made it about half way up the fence and sure enough it's body just hurled into the fence and crumpled to the ground. The deer then got up, looked around to see who was looking and ran around the fence back into the sparse woods where it must live.

The driver of the car just watched in disbelief, looked and me and we just laughed.

No comments: